Sunday, October 26, 2008

Full hands

I am sure every mom, specifically moms with many small children, multiples, or irish twins has heard "Wow, you really have your hands full!" time and time again. I know I have.

When I first became a mom of two, it didn't bother me so much because I really did in fact, have my hands full. When my daughter was born, my son wasn't even walking yet, so sometimes "full hands" was an understatement. I could remember carrying my newborn daughter in her infant car seat in one hand, my 11 month old son on my hip, with a purse and an overflowing diaper bag thrown across my shoulder, struggling to find my car keys and even make it to the car. Hands full? Very much so!

Two children under age one is not in the least bit unheard of, nor does it deserve gasps and "Oh my gosh.. you're CRAZY!" by every person I saw. But it happened.

Now that they're a little older, I still get the crazy looks and comments, but I'm used to it and I sort of shrug it off. I am constantly being asked "How far apart are they?" "Was it planned?" and "Are they twins?" I gladly answer those questions because I know people are curious. The things that do bother me though, are the "Wow, you are crazy!" "Don't you know what causes THAT!?" and "You don't take birth control?" Those people I pretty much ignore because I know the person is probably not a mom or dad, or just has no common sense. I don't think they get that, YES, we have full hands but we love it and wouldn't have it any other way.

The hands full comments still don't bother me too much, although it gets old with the 3rd or 4th person on one shopping trip.

I've learned to just smile and say "Yes, and so is my heart!"




4 comments:

Melissa said...

That's a good answer.... With four kids, my "hands are full"; but now I think I'll say "and so is my heart"!!!

Devin said...

I get that all the time too...I say, they are 4, 2, and 1, and people just freak out! I want to scream, YES, they were all planned, we do know what causes it, we do have our hands full, and WE love it!

Great response you came up with...I just may have to try that!

Liz said...

I found your blog through blogfrog.com. I'm loving it b/c I too have 2 kids who are close in age. Mine were born 3/29/00 & 2/15/01. Baby #3 was born on the day that baby #2 turned 10 1/2 months old. (Big sister is a whopping 3 1/2 years older than #2.) Anyway, I just wanted to say HI & tell ya that over time, it does get easier. Feel free to drop by my blog & take a peek.

amanda said...

having four kids in three and a half years i too hear all sorts of comments. but have yet to think of nice but good comeback. i like the one you have and am So going to steal it!!